A list of popular picture books to ease the “back to school blues” for young children
The Victorian Department of Education and Training has released a list of popular books for children who are dealing with the experience of starting school or kindergarten for the first time, and who may feel anxious or curious about the process.
Each of the books below can support children to have a clearer understanding of what to expect on their first day.
Here are some books that you can read to your child to give them an idea of what to expect on their first day.
Books for children starting school
- Starting School by Jane Godwin & Anna Walker
- Miffy at School by Dick Bruna
- Old Friends, New Friends by Andrew Daddo and Jonathan Bentley
- This Is Our House by Michael Rosen and Bob Graham
- First day by Andrew Daddo
- Wombat goes to school by Jackie French
- All the ways to be smart by Davina Bell
- I am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren Child
- Maddie’s First Day by Penny Matthews & Liz Anelli
- Just Jack by Jane Tanner
- The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
- My first day at school by Meredith Costain
- Kindness makes us strong by Sophie Beer
- The Berenstain Bears go back to school by Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Hammie Goes to School by Cathie Whitmore (illustrated by Cathy McCulloch)
- Tom Goes to Kindergarten by Margaret Wild
- First Day by Margaret Wild (illustrated by Kim Gamble)
Books with themes of building confidence and self-esteem
- You be you by Linda Kranz
- Invisible String by Patrice Karst
- Whoever you are by Mem Fox (illustrated by Leslie Staub)
Further suggestions of age appropriate stories for children may be found on the Premiers’ Reading Challenge web page.