- How we collect use, store and disclose any of the information that is collected through this website;
- Your ability to amend any incorrect personal information provided; and,
- How you may make a complaint about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles (‘APPs’) as established under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
Collection, use and disclosure of information
Sector Publishing only collects personal information that is necessary in order to provide you with business and related services that you have requested, or for the promotion or marketing of Sector Publishing’s services.
Types of personal information we collect
The types of information we collect from you depends on your dealings with us but will typically include your name, email address, position description, place of work, postal or residential addresses, and telephone numbers.
Why we collect your personal information
Instances when you may be asked to provide Sector Publishing with personal information include, but are not limited to:
- Subscribing to a newsletter or other service
- Registering with our website
- Sending us your comments, suggestions or other information
- Reporting a technical problem
- Requesting sales and advertising information
- Entering a competition, promotion or attending an event we run; or,
- Ordering products and services using our website or otherwise.
We collect your personal information primarily for the purpose of these interactions with you, as initiated or requested by you. We may also collect and use your personal information for market research purposes and to innovate our delivery of products and services.
We may also collect information about you if you:
- Post comments or submit publicly available content that contains information about you.
- Log-in or access one of our sites, services or activities through a third-party social media service.
How we use and disclose your personal information
Any information that you provide to Sector Publishing will be used for the purpose for which it was disclosed. We may also use and/or disclose your personal information for other purposes which you consent to or that are required or permitted by law. This may include for a purpose that is relevant to why you gave us your personal information in the first place, or a purpose that you would expect from us (for example, to contact you about news that may interest you).
Sector Publishing also collects personal information in the normal course of business through meetings, phone calls, letters, emails, as well as via third party credit agencies, mailing lists, advertisers, commercial agreements and dealings.
Sector Publishing will not disclose personal information to any third parties except:
- where we are required or authorised to do so by law;
- to other companies or individuals who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf (such as third-party service providers, specialist consultants, hosting and data storage providers); or
- where you have consented to the disclosure.
Sector Publishing will not sell or receive any form of payment for disclosing your personal information.
From time to time, Sector Publishing will invite you to participate in surveys. These surveys are designed to ensure that our services remain as relevant to you as possible. If you choose to voluntarily participate in any survey, Sector Publishing will always advise if the survey is anonymous or if your participation will be linked to you in any way.
Some anonymous demographic information may be provided to advertisers so they can assess whether they wish to participate in advertising, and if so, this information may play a role in the design of their advertisements for the website or mobile Apps. All information disclosed in these circumstances will be stripped entirely of all personal information so that it does not identify you.
Except as otherwise stated, Sector Publishing does not disclose or publish personal information collected through its website without your express consent. Access to this information is restricted to Sector Publishing staff and contractors who are bound to respect the privacy of this information and/or bound by confidentiality obligations.
You have the right to access the personal information that Sector Publishing holds about you and can do this by contacting us here.
We may use or disclose your personal information for the purpose of informing you about our services, upcoming promotions and events, or other opportunities that may interest you. If you do not want to receive these communications, you can unsubscribe from our mailing lists at any time. We include an unsubscribe facility in all emails we send to you. Otherwise you can contact us at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org to unsubscribe or update your preferences.
Commitment to data security
Sector Publishing will take reasonable steps to ensure that all information collected, used or disclosed is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored in a secure environment accessed only by authorised persons. The accuracy of the personal information we receive depends on the information you provide. We recommend you let us know if there are any errors in your personal information by contacting us directly.
When you make payments online via credit card, that information is encrypted before being sent using SSL certificates.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be secure. While we strive to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from our website.
We also encourage you to play an important role in keeping your personal information secure, by maintaining the confidentiality of any passwords and account details used on The Sector website. It is your sole responsibility to maintain such confidentiality and Sector Publishing will not be liable for any damage, loss or expenses suffered due to such disclosure.
We take steps to securely destroy or de-identify information that we no longer require.
Where we are subject to the APPs, we may be required to notify you about ‘eligible data breaches’. An eligible data breach occurs when:
- there is unauthorised access to or disclosure of personal information we hold (or information is lost in circumstances where unauthorised access or disclosure is likely to occur);
- the access, disclosure or loss is likely to result in serious harm to you; and
- we are unable to prevent the likely risk of serious harm with remedial action.
If it is not clear whether a suspected data breach meets these criteria, we will investigate and assess the breach further. This is to ensure you are notified if your personal information is involved in a data breach that is likely to result in serious harm. Even if the criteria are not met, we may decide it appropriate to notify you anyway as part of our commitment to taking privacy seriously.
Links to other sites
Sector Publishing will not be held responsible for the privacy practices or content of any of the websites linked to The Sector.
How to contact us
We take complaints and breaches of the APPs very seriously and will investigate any complaint we receive and respond as soon as reasonably practicable.