Extension to ParentsNext lock in providers for the next three years to combat uncertainty

by Freya Lucas

September 30, 2020

Funding contracts for providers associated with the ParentsNext program have been extended for three years, Federal Minister for Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business Michaelia Cash announced earlier this week.

 

Under the scheme parents will continue to be supported to plan and prepare for employment by the time their youngest child reaches school age, with Ms Cash saying the controversial program “continues to improve the work readiness and employment prospects of participants”.

 

“We recognise that many parents and carers of young children need help to prepare and plan for a return to employment as their children start school,” she said, outlining the Government’s commitment to “getting people back into work and rebuilding our economy from the impact of COVID-19”.

 

Since its inception in July 2018, the program has seen 133,000 participants begin employment planning, with almost 57,000 parents and carers commencing education, and 27,668 gaining employment.

 

“ParentsNext is one of a number of initiatives the Australian Government has in place designed to boost employment for women, with others including Launch into Work, Mid-Career Checkpoint, and Career Revive,” Ms Cash said, noting that the funding extensions will “provide certainty to the sector at a time where COVID-19 has been disruptive to so many people”.

 

More information about the program is available here

PRINT