Bayside kindergartens receive support via 2021-22 Community Grants
East Beaumaris Kindergarten, Black Rock Pre-School and Grange Rd Kindergarten are amongst the many dedicated community groups that have been recognised in the 2021-22 round of Community Grants issued by Bayside City Council.
The Council has provided 35 community organisations with grants of up to $7,500 each. Successful applications for the $211,000 grant pool highlighted a focus on environmental sustainability, intergenerational projects, food security, wellbeing, waste reduction and volunteer engagement and covered a range of community activities and services.
The Bayside Toy Library team, for example, will use the money to develop a Zero Waste Pack that enables Bayside families to organise children’s parties in a sustainable and affordable way, minimising waste and reducing over-consumerism.
The toy library has repurposed the party pack items to create ‘lockdown packs’ for young families which are proving popular.
Sandringham Lifesaving Club will use its grant to kick start its inaugural Silver Salties low-impact fitness program for over 60s, while Food for Change, which produces enough food for about 150,000 mouths every year plans to buy more growing-tunnels to extend the growing season.
Members of the successful organisations attended a successful online event in mid September, where council CEO Mick Cummins and Mayor Laurence Evans thanked all the staff and volunteers for their passion and dedication in what has been a difficult year.
The groups were also able to discuss their projects and ideas with each other and enjoyed a talk from two of last year’s grant recipients – Chatty Café Scheme and Hampton Community Centre – about how they successfully used their grants.
The following early childhood education and care providers were successful in obtaining grants:
- East Beaumaris Kindergarten (EBK) – Developing Resilience Through Outdoor Play
- Livingston Kindergarten – Body safety awareness and education program
- Bayside Japanese Intergenerational Playgroup – Aisatsu Kizzu (Hello Kids)
- Bayside Toy Library – Zero Waste Party Packs
- Gordon Street Preschool – Healthy Minds, Healthy Bodies, Healthy Families
- Black Rock PreSchool – Musical Movement Program
- Nagle Pre-School Association – Wellbeing Community Garden Initiative
- Grange Rd Kindergarten – Sustainability Garden
For more information about Bayside Council, please see here.