Celebrations for Binnowee Kindergarten to commemorate 85 years of learning
One of Sydney’s oldest preschools, Binnowee Kindergarten in West Pennant Hills, recently celebrated their 85th birthday, having opened in 1935 and fast becoming an inseparable part of generations of families in the area.
Binnowee, a comminuted-based not-for-profit preschool owned by parent co-operative Binnowee Kindergarten Cooperative Society Ltd, gained its name from the local Aboriginal wording meaning “green place”. Current Director Sara Andersson told local news source The Northern District Times that some families have had multiple generations attending, drawn to the quality environments that focus on connection with the environment, and nature based play.
Ms Andersson described the environment as having “a very green natural garden with veggie beds with loads of tomatoes, basil, parsley, some corn, peas and strawberries”.
Founded by Winifred Macourt in 1935, the preschool began its life in a home near Thompson’s Corner. In 1956 it moved to 6 New Line Road, and officially reopened at its current site in 1957.
Having been the director of Binnowee for three years now, Ms Andersson said it was “a privilege and real honour” to lead the service, which has a vision to “keep growing, continuing our strong presence in the West Pennant Hills area and caring for generations to come”.
Unfortunately celebrations to mark the 85th anniversary, to have been held 28 March, have been put on hold due to social distancing measures to combat COVID-19, however Ms Andersson remains hopeful of celebrating later in the year.
To read the original coverage of this story (subscribers only) please see here.