Funding available for provisionally registered early childhood teachers
The Victorian Department of Education is offering additional funding for early childhood services, designed to support them to move toward full registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.
A statement about the funding from the Department noted that moving from provisional to full registration is an important step in a teacher’s career, one that demonstrates their proficiency against the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
Early childhood services who are delivering a state-funded kindergarten program can apply for funding of $2,872 (exclusive of GST) per teacher.
Funding is available for each provisionally registered teacher employed by a service, including provisionally registered teachers who are working in a teaching role in an unfunded room, or who are working in a teacher role on a casual basis, provided the service can support them to achieve full teacher registration.
Once obtained, the funding can be used “in any way that supports the provisionally registered teacher to move to full teacher registration and gain proficiency against the Australian Professional Teacher Standards,” including:
- providing paid time release, travel or accommodation expenses for both the provisionally registered teacher and a mentor to work with each other;
- employing a casual relief teacher to backfill the provisionally registered teacher and/or the mentor; and,
- supporting the provisionally registered teacher to undertake formal professional learning.
In order to be eligible for the funding, the provisionally registered teacher must be working in a teaching role and intend to move to full registration within 12 months of receiving the funding. The funding is a once off payment per eligible teacher, and is subject to approval of both the successful application and the availability of funds. Submitting an application does not guarantee funding will be awarded.
To access the funding, services should follow these steps:
- Complete the online application form at any time: Funding for Provisionally Registered Teachers
- Read the Funding Agreement (docx – 53.19kb) which outlines your contractual obligations.
- The Department will advise successful applicants within the payment timeframes indicated in the table below. Payments will be made through existing service agreements with service providers.
Application assessment and payment schedule:
For further enquiries or information about this funding, please email EC.Mentoring@edumail.vic.gov.au
Information about moving from provisional to full registration, can be gained by calling the Victorian Institute of Teaching on 1300 977 263 or by visiting the website, here.