STEM Acoustics Workshop, Penrith
October 12, 2023 - October 12, 2023
Penrith City Council 601 High St, Penrith NSW 2750, Australia
Fizzle, crash, boom, bang! Delve into the world of everyday sounds with us in this stimulating workshop and explore the presence and absence of sound, create your own sound maker, and tell a sound story — just to name a few. Through the topic of acoustics, we will also uncover the pedagogical topic of peer group learning in co-constructed environments and reflect on the educator’s impact on group dynamics.
STEM topic: Acoustics
In this hands on, interactive workshop, you will learn how to create rich STEM learning experiences in your service through the exciting topic of acoustics and use it as a topic through which to teach the outcomes of the Early Years Learning Framework. Activities may include:
- Explore the world of sound by listening closely to the environment.
- Learn sound proprieties like loud and quiet, short or long, high and low.
- Find out the difference between a noise and a bang and a complex tone and a simple tone.
- Discover the variety of sounds the human body can make by listening to it bubble, crack, squeak, rumble, and crunch.
- Invent your own noise maker.
- Learn how to systematically experience and analyse acoustic phenomena with children.
- Feel the vibrations of sound sources and listen to sounds through solid materials.
- Invent ways to visualise sound through the vibrations they make.
- Gather ideas for learning experiences with acoustic phenomena for different stages of development.
Pedagogical topic: Peer group learning
This important professional development workshop will build on your understanding of peer group learning in early development and consider the role of both verbal and non-verbal communication. By the end of the workshop, you will gain the ability to:
- Recognise how co-constructed environments support peer group learning.
- Reflect on the role of the educator in enhancing children’s verbal and non-verbal communication with peers.
- Reflect on the effects of group dynamics on the learner.
- Understand the group formation process and how free play and STEM discovery can have the greatest impact on child development.
- Learn how Vygotsky’s ideas on co-constructivism relate to peer group learning.
- Understand Piaget’s view on symmetrical and asymmetrical relationships and the interactions between children and adults