ECEC Provider in Focus: Empowered Family Day Care
Empowered Family Day Care Service (EFDCS) is a family day care (FDC) service provider based on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland.
The service extends throughout the Sunshine Coast, Moreton Bay, Brisbane City, Redland Bay, Logan City, Toowoomba and Gympie Regions.
In 2018, when the provider was last assessed and rated, the Regulatory Authority gave a rating of Meeting the National Quality Standard.
What is the Empowered Family Day Care vision and approach to learning?
EFDCS aims to represent in its learning environments a place which fosters cultural competence, meaningful practices and significant experiences which assists every child or adult to discover how to critically reflect on their learning, encourage exploration, take ownership of their knowledge and support positive relationships amongst peers.
The provider believes that language and learning are inextricably intertwined (Vygotsky) and therefore aims to convey knowledge of experiences and practices in an environment to others to achieve this.
EFDCS values individuality and appreciates that there is not one set approach that meets every child’s or adult’s needs and it’s necessary to tailor teaching methods to suit the individual learner.
Each Educator and Coordinators own unique philosophy is valued and EFDCS takes into consideration their personal beliefs, values, goals and qualities, which guides the education and care of the children and extends into the community around them.
What is the Empowered Family Day Care approach to professional development?
Through ongoing individual assessment of where people are ‘at’ with respect to their existing knowledge, beliefs, values and culture EFDCS aims to provide meaningful scaffolding opportunities which are relevant to children’s interests, cultural backgrounds and understanding to build connections between what they already know and facilitate new opportunities for learning to create new knowledge.
Are there any unique aspects to the Empowered Family Day Care offering?
The service offers a number of opportunities to educators including:
- Educator networking sessions
- Tailored training for you as an individual educator
- Assistance and support to run your own business
- A comprehensive suite of online resources and tailored service compendium to support you to easily comply with the regulatory administrative requirements
- Weekly processing and payments of Child Care Subsidy
- Closed social media networking groups for educators and families
- Flexible kindy program linking to the QKLG
- Nature play program (EFDCS is a Registered QLD Nature Play Provider)
- Bush and beach kindy linking to the QKLG
- Annual children’s Christmas parties
- Face-to-face professional development opportunities
- Annual educator retreats
- Support to complete your Certificate III or Diploma in Early Childhood
- Monthly playgroups delivered by EFDCS
- Intergenerational Playgroups
- THE HUB: EFDCS’ office and community centre where educators and children can connect, play, learn and create
Staffing waivers outstanding show welcome pull back: latest ACECQA Snapshot
by Jason Roberts
Excellent: why do we need that rating for early childhood care?
by Freya Lucas
Frustrated by tedious and unproductive meetings? These 2 proven strategies can help teams work smarter
by Freya Lucas