Disadvantaged and vulnerable communities grant applications now open
The Department of Education and Training has opened the applications process for the Community Child Care Fund (CCCF) Special Circumstances Grant Opportunity.
The CCCF forms part of the Australian Government’s Child Care Safety Net, the objective of which is to support childcare services to address barriers to childcare participation, particularly targeting disadvantaged and vulnerable families and communities.
The CCCF Special Circumstances Grant Opportunity is designed to support continuity of childcare, in particular in disadvantaged or vulnerable communities, where service viability is affected by an unforeseen factor outside the control of the service such as a natural disaster, extreme weather event, or other unforeseen event or circumstance which would result in market failure for the community.
Up to $4 million is available in the 2018-2019 financial year under the opportunity, with the amount of funding allocated to be determined on a case-by-case basis, and consideration given to the circumstances of the applicant, and the activity being funded.
While both for-profit and not-for-profit services are eligible to apply under this grant opportunity, CCCF funding must be spent on activities approved by the Department, and cannot be used to directly generate or contribute to the profit of a childcare service.
The funding is one-off and not designed as ongoing support to services , and is to be used in the short-term only. To be eligible for the grant, applicants must be submitted on behalf of approved childcare services and must meet the eligibility criteria outlined below:
- a) the approved provider of an approved child care service under the A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999; AND,
- b) operating in a disadvantaged or vulnerable community; AND,
- c) operating in an area of limited supply; AND,
- d) at risk of closure due to viability issues resulting from an unforeseen event or circumstance.
Further information about CCCF eligibility can be found in the CCCF Special Circumstances Grant Opportunity Guidelines (Section 5)
The grant can be used for activities such as:
- implementing changes to business practices and/or models
- temporarily meeting standard child care operating costs
- helping with additional costs as a result of the unforeseen event or circumstance
- addressing health and safety requirements, directly related to an unforeseen event
- other reasonable activities, as agreed with the department, to ensure continuity of child care is maintained
- activities that respond to the needs of the child care community, such as additional transport services, family engagement and other support activities.
Activities which grant funding cannot be used for include:
- activities not related to the delivery of childcare services
- activities that are already fully funded by the CCCF program or any other government source or program
- activities that have already occurred
- any expense that is claimable under your insurance policy.
All applications for Special Circumstances funding must be made using the CCCF Special Circumstances Funding Application Form.
Further information can be sourced through the CCCF Special Circumstances Grant Opportunity Guidelines or via email to the Department of Education and Training at email@example.com