$50 million funding boost for ABC Kids content in local content deal
The Sector > Practice > $50 million funding boost for ABC Kids content in local content deal

$50 million funding boost for ABC Kids content in local content deal

by Fiona Alston

December 01, 2025

Australian children’s television is set to receive a $50 million boost as part of a new deal between the Federal Government and the Greens, aimed at strengthening locally made content and storytelling.

 

The agreement, announced by the ABC will see the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) receive additional funding to expand its production of children’s and drama programming. The funding forms part of negotiations to pass legislation mandating that global streaming services, such as Netflix and Disney+, invest in Australian-made content.

 

Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young described the deal as a win for families, industry, and jobs.

 

“It’s a good win for our broadcaster, a good win for our kids’ television and kids’ entertainment, and a good win for Australian jobs.”

 

The legislation will require streaming platforms to spend a minimum of 10 per cent of their local expenditure or 7.5 per cent of their revenue on Australian content. The change addresses a longstanding regulatory gap, which previously placed content obligations only on free-to-air and pay TV broadcasters.

 

Senator Hanson-Young said the ABC has long been “the heart of Australian storytelling”, citing the enduring popularity and educational value of shows like Bluey, Bananas in Pyjamas and Play School.

 

“This is the new chapter of quality kids’ content that parents can trust.”

 

Senator Katy Gallagher confirmed the funding figure at a press conference, though a detailed breakdown has not yet been released. It is understood the funds are intended specifically for Australian-made children’s and drama programming.

 

The legislation was delayed previously due to concerns around Australia’s free trade agreement with the United States. However, Arts Minister Tony Burke said the laws will close existing loopholes and ensure streaming services support local stories.

 

“This obligation will ensure that those stories, our stories, continue to be made.”

 

The Screen Producers Association welcomed the move, calling it “a landmark day for Australian screen storytelling” and a necessary response to the growth of digital streaming platforms and evolving viewing habits.

Download The Sector's new App!

ECEC news, jobs, events and more anytime, anywhere.

Download App on Apple App Store Button Download App on Google Play Store Button
PRINT